Brexit. What must I do now?

Brexit is now a reality, although there is a transition period until the end of the year when the EU and the UK will continue to negotiate additional agreements, it is normal that doubts will arise as to what your rights are and what you will have to do. We would like to answer some of the most frequently asked questions.

Brexit. What must I do now?

When will the changes be applied?

Until 31/12/2020 the same rules will continue to apply as before, whether for trade, travel or even business. Then some situations will change, such as freedom of travelling, living etc.

Until the 1st of January 2021, you can continue to travel freely in Europe with your British passport until it expires, but from that day on you will need to have more than 6 months on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).  If your passport expires before the 6 months, you will need to renew it before travelling to the EU.

What about the residence?

If you are a resident in Spain at the end of the transition period, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and your rights will be protected while you are resident in Spain.

Rights that are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement will be subject to future negotiations.

When should I become a resident?

 You must register as a Spanish resident if you wish to stay in Spain for more than 3 months. We advise you to do this before the end of the transition period. But if you do it later you will be able to, but you will probably have to provide some additional documentation, from the one you are currently providing.  We will update you about any news about the negotiations.

Will I get medical assistance?

There will be no changes in access to health care for UK citizens visiting or living in the EU.

If you have been resident in Spain for 5 years or more, you can obtain permanent residence. This will give you access to national healthcare on the same terms as a Spanish citizen.

You must register with your local social security office to receive you designated number. With this document you will be able to register as your local health centre.

What will happen to my driver’s license?

If you are resident in Spain you should exchange your driving licence for a Spanish one.

You can continue to use your Spanish licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without having to take a test if you return to live in the UK.

The European Union has negotiated a Withdrawal Agreement with the United Kingdom that allows for a transitional period during which citizens’ rights are maintained, an agreement that has already been approved by both the European and British institutions.

Therefore, the European legislation on driving licences will continue to apply to licences issued by the United Kingdom until the end of the transitional period, which is scheduled for 31 December 2020. What happens after this date is still being negotiated.

Is citizenship a good option?

Dual nationality as such is not permitted, but you can become a Spanish citizen and not hand in your UK passport meaning that you are Spanish in Spain and English in the UK.

For more information on this please contact us